Canal Boating in the U.K. and Europe
(with some North American information)
Being an introduction for those unfamiliar
with the pleasures of canal and waterway cruising, as well as a resource
for experienced boaters.
Over 2000 links to canal and waterways related web sites.
Please... they are "narrowboats", not "barges".
Website Last Modified: Saturday, 9 Mar 2013
"Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing-- absolutely nothing--
half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats."
-- Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows
Search THIS WEBSITE ONLY with Google:
- What's New?
- What It's Like (2 images: 143K total)
- Features of Interest - locks, tunnels, aqueducts, etc.
- Online Canal Maps - England & Wales
- Trip reports and Blogs
- Favourite Sections of Canals - by participants
in the canals mailing list
- Hiring Boats
- Hotel Boats and Barges
- Multilingual French Waterways Links
- Near the Water - Pubs, Inns, Shopping, Villages, Cottages, etc.
- Living Aboard
- River Cruise Ships (on the Continent)
- Boat Ownership, Building, Maintenance, and Services
- Books, Route Planning Software, Paper Maps, and Videos
- Canal & Waterway Magazines
- Waterways FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions - answered by
participants in the canals mailing list/uk.rec.waterways newsgroup)
- Canals Internet Resources- General
* Email mailing lists * Usenet newsgroups * General info * Shops * Music * Education/Toys *
* Model Boats * Carrying/Cargo/Haulage * Specialized Topics * Angling * Historic * Genealogy *
* Museums * Specific Types of Boats * Situations Vacant * Boat Handling Courses *
* Boat Maintenance Courses * Safety Equipment * Towpath Walks * Towpath Cycling *
* Waterway Photographers * Waterway Photographs * Waterway Art and Craft *
* Canalside New Home Developments *
- Specific Canals & Waterways - listed by country
- Canal/Waterway Size Restrictions
- Mailing List/Forum - over 650 participants
- Canal- and Waterway-Related Organisations
- government; commercial; canal societies; boat-specific societies
- Canal-Related Events, and Music
- Excursion, Charter, and Restaurant Boats - UK
- Canal Humour: from Larry
from Roger Murray
- Short Term Mobile Phone Options - UK/Europe
- North American Canals
- Mailing List/Newsgroup Participants' Pages
- About these pages - icons/abbreviations/philosophy
Photo: Barbridge, on the Shropshire Union Canal, from bridge 100.
Send questions and comments to
Text, graphics, and photos Copyright © 1995-2013 by George Pearson.
This Page Last Modified: Wednesday, 13-Jun-12 1:10 pm EDT