This is a list of links to canal and waterway related webcams that I have
found on the web or that others have told me about. (I do NOT operate
any of these webcams myself.)
if you know of any others not listed here.
Remember that a webcam may be dark if you are looking at it when it is night at
the webcam's location.
Notes (suggested by Peter Hardcastle):
If your internet speed is limited, you may want to avoid these
If your internet usage is limited, you may want to limit
the time you view these webcams.
For some reason, webcam links seem to change often, so let me know
if you discover that any of these have gone bad.
Note that the automated link check I run periodically is NOT good at
detecting defunct cams - another reason to let me know if you find bad ones.
Note also that there is a list of "Defunct Webcams" at the bottom of this web page.
York City Rowing Club webcam
- overlooking the Museum Gardens moorings, city centre on the River Ouse;
image refreshes every five minutes
[Thanks to Malcolm Tonkiss for pointing out this one, and later for
telling me it had come back to life.]
Great Haywood Marina
- near junction of S&W and T&M;
- [15 Feb 2016 - Thanks to Ronald Pakker for alerting me that webcams were available
again (though he says they may work with Internet Explorer 11).
They had been not working at least as of 11 Jun 2015; were
intermittent as of 15 Mar 15.
In the past, thanks to Paul Eyre for informing me of the latest failure of these
cams, thanks to Ronald Pakker for alerting me that he could see an image,
thus prompting my further testing, and thanks to Brian Mansergh for originally pointing out this one,
and to Andrew Cooley for pointing out the multiple views,
and to Henry Perryman for telling me, in the past, that the cams are working again.]
Bridgehouse Marina Webcam (#2)
- 10 miles north of Preston, Lancs., near Garstang.
[Thanks to Ronald Pakker for pointing out the existence of cam #2.]
There was a cam #1, but at least since 22 Oct 2015, it says "Connecting to webcam. Please wait." But it never connects.
webcam at Jones Boatyard
- auto-refreshes about every half second; St. Ives, Cambs., on Great Ouse
[4 Jan 2016 - thanks to Ian Waters for emailing me that this cam was back online.]
Braunston Marina webcam
- webcam now only auto-refreshes on this smaller image; refreshes every 5 seconds [Thanks to Andre Gibson
for pointing this out, to Ronald Pakker for providing an updated link,
and to Iain George for letting me know the existing link no longer worked.]
Marina de Corre webcams
- 8 May 2016: 10 second refresh, but most images are bad
- can look like black and white images, but color is just very washed-out;
marina located on the Saône on the entrance of Canal des Vosges (France)
Live River Webcams
- provided by Farson Digital - many webcams located on numerous UK rivers. Notes: 1. these are advert-supported, so you will see a brief advert
before seeing the webcam; 2. I have not been able to get Farson Digital
webcams to work in the Firefox or Chrome browsers (possibly due to my running
- live streaming video of Stroud Brewery Bridge over the canal at Wallbridge in Stroud. Not much of
the canal to see here, but always lots of car and truck activity on the roads!
(Cotswold Canals) [Thanks to Bob Hallam for pointing out this one.]
Live Webcam at Overwater Marina
- Audlem, Cheshire; You need to refresh this one yourself; [Thanks to Mike Fletcher for pointing out this one.] [Thanks to Adrian Moore for telling me that the original link no longer worked.] [28 Mar 2016 Thanks to Charles Lilker for telling me that the webcam's address had changed.]
Aqueduct Marina Webcam
- 1 second refresh rate; Church Minsull, Ches. [Thanks to Geoff Harris
for providing me the new link for this webcam.]
Mercia Marina webcam - You need to refresh this one yourself
with your browser "reload" button; a new image is available every
10 seconds (Willington, Derbyshire)
Myk Askin's UK narrowboat-based webcam
- first webcam on a narrowboat, and probably the first on which you can see,
if you are lucky, narrowboats cruising on canals. Located at Northolt, on the Grand Union Paddington Arm. Might not always be available due to cruising.
Norfolk Broads Live Webcams
- two webcams, covering Potter Heigham Bridge and the Broads Haven Marina at Herbert Woods; they refresh every 10 seconds [thanks to Phillip Dade for pointing these out]
Norfolk Broads webcams
-of the six cams, we're now back to two at Horning Sailing Club, one
at Potter Heigham Bridge, and one
at Hickling Broad; Refreshes every 15 seconds [Thanks to Roy Badrick for pointing these out, and to Nick Sadler for letting me know that these
cams were back.]
at Barnes Brinkcraft at Wroxham
- live streaming (high def?), so high internet usage;
- the link has been put back into the list of working cams above -
[Thanks to Peter Hardcastle for initially pointing out this one, and
to Roy Badrick for letting me know it's working again.]
Royalls Boatyard webcam
- at Hoveton, Norwich, Norfolk Broads; you must refresh this one yourself
by reloading the web page
[Thanks to Roy Webster for pointing out this one.]
- links to webcams of waterways and harbors in continental Europe
webcams at 12 locations on the R. Mosel
- Germany; not all cameras are working yet; you may get an apparently spurious warning on this page if you are using a McAfee SiteAdvisor browser plug-in; in spite of the flags indicating the site can be viewed in various languages, these make little difference at the moment; webcams require Java; for security reasons, I do NOT recommend that you have Java on your computer. [Thanks to Colin Gardiner for pointing these out.]
Kiel Canal, Germany
- 3 webcams (large ship canal)
[Thanks to Terry Fowles for pointing these out.]
Bridgewater Canal at Lymm
- live streaming video [Thanks to Brian Mansergh for pointing out this one.] [Thanks to Adrian
Moore for telling me when this one was not working and to Kevin Hartley
for telling me that it's not working once again.]
Bridgewater Canal View from The Barn Owl inn
- on 8 May, 2016, says "currently no live stream available"
- on 22 Oct 2015, says "Connecting to webcam. Please wait." But
it never connects.. Lymm, Cheshire [Thanks to both "LES" and Brian Mansergh for pointing out this one.]
Caen Hill Marina webcam
- There is no longer a "Caen Hillcam" on that page, or website.
SCROLL DOWN THAT PAGE TO "Caen Hillcam"; auto-refreshes every 10 seconds [Thanks to Adrian Moore for pointing out this one.]
Tattenhall Marina - Webcams not working
- View 1
- View 2
- View 3
- View 4
- View 5
- in Cheshire, on SU [Thanks to Brian Mansergh for pointing out this one,
and to Andrew Cooley for pointing out the multiple views.]
Liverpool Canal Link Webcams
- last images shown are from Sept 2010
- 3 views, were refreshed every 3 hours, so not "real" webcams, but close
Norfolk Broads mobile webcam - Not working
- apparently gone as of May 2009
- mounted on a Broads Authority patrol launch [Thanks to
Roy Webster for pointing out this one.]