Canals & Waterways
Heavily Locked Sections
Special case (pointed out by Richard Taylor):
- "Giant's Staircase" - Thorpe and Turnerwood flights on Chesterfield Canal:
- 22 locks in 1 mile; includes two double staircases and two triple staircases. The newest
addition to this list, since restoration was completed in 2003.
- Devizes (Caen Hill) flight on the Kennet and Avon Canal:
- 29 locks within 2 miles..
- Tardebigge flight on the Worcester and Birmingham Canal:
- 30 locks in just over 2 miles.
- Wigan Locks on the Leeds and Liverpool Canal:
- 21 locks within 2 miles.
- Marple Locks on the Lower Peak Forest Canal:
- 16 locks in 1 ½ miles.
- Wolverhampton Locks on the main line of the Birmingham Canal Navigations:
- 21 locks in 2 miles.
- Hatton Locks on the Grand Union Canal:
- 21 locks in 2 ¼ miles.
Not quite so heavy (in terms of locks per mile) but still daunting: (suggested by
- Farmer's Bridge locks and Aston locks on Birmingham and Fazely Canal:
- 21 locks in 1 ¾ mile. "Special case" as there is a ¾ mile "break"
between the two flights, and also a junction to the Digbeth Branch between
the two (into which you could escape).
- Heartbreak Hill (Kidsgrove to Wheelock) on the Trent & Mersey canal:
- 26 locks in 6 ½ miles.
- Stourbridge sixteen:
- 16 locks in 2 miles.
- or, Stourbridge 16 + Delph locks:
- 24 locks in 3 ½ miles.
Looking for suggestions...
Link to main canals page.
Send questions and comments to
Text and photos Copyright © 1995-2018 by George Pearson.
Last Modified: Monday, 16-Jan-12 5:00 pm EST